The Every Day Adventure of Natural Foods

Join me as we flutter our way around a beautiful world of delicious natural foods, local foods and traditional, home cooked recipes.

Friday, September 27, 2013

Maple Cream Stuffed Patty Pan

If you know me, you know I am madly in love with squash. I love all kinds of squash and nothing makes me happier than finding a new "squishy dish" to enjoy. I've grown patty pan in my garden for a few years now, and while it is super easy to grow and has a great flavor, I have always found the shape a little daunting. Too shallow to stuff with rice, too flat to make squash boats out of, not enough flesh to make a pie and which way to slice it for frying? Hmmmmm.

Voila! Inspiration finally hit me. I could "stuff" it with a sauce - a fluffy sweet sauce that will turn my flat squash into a perfect gluten-free breakfast or maybe even a desert. This recipe was an instant hit with my sometimes squash-wary daughter. She said it is her favorite squash meal ever. The maple cream pairs perfectly with the mellow sweetness of the patty pan and we both scraped the skins clean because it was so good.

Maple Cream Stuffed Patty Pan
2-4 small to medium patty pan squash
4 oz (1/2 block) cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup maple syrup (I used the most amazing wood-fired syrup from here in Ohio - Johnson Maple Syrup - delicious!!!)
2 tbsp powdered sugar

Wash then roast the patty pans whole in your oven at 350 until they are soft and browning slightly (1/2 to 1 hour depending on size). Take them out and let them cool for a few minutes. Slice them around the widest part of the squash and remove the top. Scrape out all of the seeds and pulp. While the squash are roasting mix together the other ingredients and whip them well until they are creamy and thick. spoon the cream into the bottom of the squashes, place the tops on and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment