The Every Day Adventure of Natural Foods

Join me as we flutter our way around a beautiful world of delicious natural foods, local foods and traditional, home cooked recipes.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Onigiri Piglet Bento


I pack bento lunches for my two daughters every day. It's convenient, fun, nutritious and doesn't create a lot of waste like items packed into baggies or individual serving sizes.
The girls (ages 7 and 9 currently) love their lunches and tell me that they look forward to them every day. But, their favorites are definitely when I make the ingredients into animal shapes, like this cute little onigiri piglet I create out of onigiri (rice balls) and ham slices. I use nitrate-free natural ham, but you could also use vegetarian deli slices or even turkey if you would prefer.
The piglet is nestled in a bed of corn and edamame salad, which looks to me like something a little piggy would love to eat. The veggies were simply thawed and tossed with a little olive oil, vinegar and salt. The compartment above has apple slices (locally grown wine-sap apples which I am so going to miss when they are gone.) baby carrots and a sesame seed and craisin trail mix.
If you're in the Columbus, Ohio area and would like to learn how to create this bento, come to Sprout Soup at 4310 North High St. tonight at 6:30pm for my "Build-a-Bento" workshop. It's only $10 and you will get to create your very own onigiri piglet to have and hold and love... and eat!
Visit Sprout Soup's website for more information: www.sproutsoup.com

No comments:

Post a Comment