The Every Day Adventure of Natural Foods

Join me as we flutter our way around a beautiful world of delicious natural foods, local foods and traditional, home cooked recipes.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Squishy dishes, AKA "The Joy of Squash"

I love squash. To the point of near-fetish. Seriously. Every fall I need to buy at least one and often more than one of every variety I find at the farmer's markets. I have certain things I love to do with each kind. I make buttercup squash into muffins, I bake butternut squash and puree it into soup. Hubbard squash is cubed and mixed with apples and sausage for a sweet and spicy fall casserole. Acorn and carnival are stuffed with cinnamon laced rice with raisins. Gold nugget, turban, ambercup, pumpkin, delicata, sweet dumpling and the magical "Musquee de Provence" are all revered and cooked with love and adoration in my kitchen.

Unfortunately, the rest of my family are not such squash enthusiasts. Carl shudders at the sight of a kabocha corpse, flayed on my kitchen counter. My daughter Stella claims she doesn't like squash, even though she generally eats what I put in front of her as long as it's not too spicy. My step-daughter Marie is probably my best chance for a convert to squash adoration. She recently proclaimed that my spaghetti squash with bolognaise meat sauce is her favorite meal ever. But, I will save details of that dish for my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment